Four standard steps for system design interview. However, I would think about them wider: as about four initial steps to design the software.
- Step 1. Understand the problem and establish design scope
- Step 2. Propose high-level design and get buy-in
- Step 3. Design deep dive
- Step 4. Wrap up
The chapter 3 of the book discovers details about each step, good questions to ask (to think about), DO’s and DONT’s. It also shows good example of the process of designing a news feed system.
Sharing my mind map with all the details as usual:
- System Design Interview - Chapter 1 - Scale from zero to millions of users
- System Design Interview - Chapter 5 - Design Consistent Hashing
- System Design Interview - Chapter 2 - Back-to-the-envelope estimation
- System Design Interview - Chapter 6 - Design a Key-Value store
- System Design Interview - Chapter 4 - Design a Rate Limiter